Friday 20th March signifies the beginning of Spring in the UK and we couldn’t be more ready for it! After what seems to have been one of the longest, darkest and wettest Winters in recent years, we are well and truly ready to sparkle.
A marathon Spring cleaning session is something that many people still adhere to at this time of year. The traditional Spring clean stems from a bygone era when homes relied on fire places and ranges for heating and cooking. This meant that come Spring, the soot and dirt accumulated over the Winter months needed to be washed and dusted away.
Thankfully, modern heating systems mean that we don’t have to deal with coal dust and smoke residue anymore, but with the days getting longer and more light in every nook and cranny of the house – we still recommend a good old tidy up.
Here are some of our handy hints and tips to get the best out of your Spring clean:
- Spring cleaning season is all about focusing on the spots you forget about the rest of the year. Grab one of our fabulous Telescopic Feather Dusters and easily attack those light fittings, coving, moldings and more.
- Window washing? Wait for an overcast day and start on the shaded side of the house, as direct sunlight can lead to streaks. We recommend using our bumper 5 litre Cleenol Window & Mirror Cleaner which gives exceptional sparkling, streak-free results every time.
- Are you tired of scrubbing all those hard to reach crevices inside of the microwave? We have a simple and very effective solution! Place a large microwave-safe bowl with 1 cup of water and a chopped-up lemon inside. Turn the appliance on high for several minutes or until the solution boils and the window steams, then let it sit to cool for 15 minutes before opening the door. Remove and wipe out the inside and outside with one of our Magic Sponges. Ta-daaa! Sparkling results!
- You probably wipe down your fridge’s interior shelving regularly but don’t forget about the rest. Pop out the door shelves and bins, and wash in warm, soapy water to get rid of food bacteria and spillage.
- Put your appliances to work and toss drapes, curtains, and even scatter cushions in the dryer for 15 minutes on the ‘air-only’ cycle. Rehang immediately to avoid creases and finish off with a spritz of Fabfresh Antibacterial Fabric Freshener.
- Washing machines, by their very nature, are warm and damp environments, perfect for harbouring bacteria. Before you start to notice an odour in your appliance, disinfect it by running a cleaning cycle with Domestos bleach. Your clothes will thank you for it!
- Your mobile phone probably harbours more germs than your toilet seat. We recommend squirting some of our Stardrops Disinfectant Spray onto a clean, dry cloth and giving it a wipe over. Remember to do your TV remote and computer mouse too!
Once your Spring cleaning is done, you deserve to sit in the garden with a nice cup of tea and admire the daffodils! If you need any advice on any of our cleaning products, just contact a member of our friendly team who will be happy to help!